Sunday, May 16, 2010

More Robin News...

Our Mama robin has been spending a lot more time in her nest lately (taking fewer breaks), and DAD has been hanging around making sure all is well! The first few days, He sure let us know when he thought we were getting too close! On Sunday, the 9th, I was out with the kids while they gave Raider a bath, and when I tried to get a picture of the nest, I seriously got yelled at! :) So, I decided to step back and take a picture of Dad instead!


The next day (Monday, May 10th), we had some pretty good rain showers in the morning. I was so excited to get this picture of Mama robin! Look how she spreads her wings over the next to keep the eggs dry. You can see the raindrops sitting on her back before rolling off without ever getting close to the eggs! It's amazing!

Later that day, Dad seemed to be a bit less worried about me, although he made sure to stay close. I didn't even get yelled at for being in my front yard! Instead, he just made sure he kept his eye on me.
Every once in awhile, Mama still needs to stretch her legs (I guess,) and we see her standing on the edge of the nest. I wonder if she's also making sure the eggs stay the right temperature (without getting too warm). This whole experience has been so fun!


Yesterday, (after FINALLY finishing all the costumes I've been sewing - I'll post about that later) we finally had the chance to attend to some MUCH needed yard work. We were interested to see how the birds would take to us getting the lawn mower out, and using it right under her tree. We were impressed to see that none of the work seemed to phase them... not even Daddy robin!! After the lawn mower, I even weeded all of the garden right under the tree, and she didn't even flinch. Well, if she did, there was no evidence given!

It's neat that they seem so comfortable here. It's like they know we're not a threat. This is so cool!

1 comment:

bedonts said...

I have to say ... your pictures are simply AMAZING!! Beautiful! So many pretty colors, flowers and grass. WOW!! The picture you have of daddy robin on the hook - LOVE IT!! Right out of a magazine!! And very cool pics of mommy protecting the nest!

SO. VERY. FUN!!

Love reading about the progress! Very cool!