I mean,... REALLY! I know, as a mother, I often take off my jacket to give to one of my children when they're cold because they forgot to bring theirs... it's was parents do. But my heart seriously went out to this mother robin this morning.
I went outside with a broom to try and get some of the snow off of the branches of my other trees, and contemplated whether I should also try to clear some snow off the nest tree. After a couple thoughts, I decided that she had been watching me with the other trees, so I gave it a careful shot. I was again, so impressed at her trust in me! I brushed the snow off of the branches of the tree and she didn't even flinch. After that, I went back into the house to make sure the kids were still on task, getting ready for school. I took a second to take another peak at the nest from Leandra's room, and saw her still sitting in that nest COVERED with snow.
I had another thought. She was extremely trusting in me to let me brush snow off those branches around her.... hmmm... I wonder....
So, I grabbed an umbrella and went outside. I thought it wouldn't hurt anything to try. I approached the nest with the umbrella already open, and tried to put it up in the tree above the nest to minimize the amount of snow that was reaching the birds. To my amazement, the mother robin simply watched me. I realized that if the umbrella was going to do any good, it was going to have to be a bit lower than I had originally thought it would have to be. So, I worked on it a little more, and when I was finished the mother robin flew away. I thought it was odd, that she would leave AFTER I was done, and I worried for a second that I might have made a mistake. However, she turned around and flew right back to the nest. Then I realized that she was simply trying to shake all that snow off of her back and wings!
It was thrilling to see that she trusted me so much. I can still hardly believe it! Later today, when there was no trace of snow left, and the sun was shining (crazy spring weather!) I caught a quick look at the babies while the mother was off finding food. I almost dropped my camera! They looked SO MUCH DIFFERENT to me than they did yesterday.
These aren't babies... These are BIRDS! I was also able to get a picture closer up.... look at those feathers coming right out of the quills!

1 comment:
AMAZING!! You are so nice to give her an umbrella! I'm impressed, also, at how much trust she is showing...very cool! What an experience for you all!! Love you!
Post a Comment