Wednesday, August 11, 2010

GIRLS CAMP!!

I still can't believe I have a daughter in Young Woman's! Actually, I guess there are some days that my body TOTALLY feels like it's old enough for that, but most of the time my mind just doesn't agree! : ) Anyway, this past Monday morning I dropped Leandra off at our church at 7:30am to load the buses for Girls Camp. She's been packed for the past 2 weeks in anticipation, (just leaving out her toothbrush and a few daily used items to pack that last morning). She has been SO excited!

I received this picture (via text) from a friend who is up there with the girls this week... It was captioned "The girls are having a blast!"




Our Stake is holding girls camp at Heber Valley Camp which is owned and operated by the Church. Now, I know I'm getting old, and my memory isn't quite what it used to be... but take a look at these pictures I got from their website and tell me if ANY of you attended a girls camp with facilities like these!!



Picture #1... their CABINS...



Picture #2... Inside their CABINS...



Picture #3... Bathrooms with running water and SHOWERS...
(Leandra had explained to me that they'll ONLY be allowed 1 shower for the entire week... quite the sacrifice!)


Picture #4... Each camp has their OWN Campfire Ring... (with stadium seating!)




And finally,... Picture #5... the Stake Pavilion... (looks more like a cultural hall to me!)



OK,... so here's what I remember about girls camp...




OK,.. so this obviously isn't me, but just picture this scene in the total dark (around 2am) with rain falling by the bucket-full. Yea,... that's pretty close to how I remember it. :)


Truly, I LOVED girls camp (even digging trenches in the rain), and I am SO excited that Leandra is old enough to go. Even if she's staying at the "Shang-ra-la" of campsites... I'm glad she's having a good time. Let's just hope next year she's not too disappointed with wherever they end up staying!!

2 comments:

bedonts said...

I KNOW!! It's crazy isn't it?!??! I went up to see the church campsite that we use for girls camp, scout camps, ward camp outs, etc. and it looks a lot like what you showed here! Sheesh! not even close! But hey, looking on the bright side, now if we are ever called to serve with YW girls camp, know that we will have the same amenities!! ;)

Glad she had fun! :)

kevin said...

Aren't you guys so glad that you learned to do hard things when you were young! :)