Tuesday, May 26, 2009

WARNING... pictures in this post are rated PG!

Yesterday was one of the most beautiful Memorial Days I can remember. Unfortunately, I was unable to get all our bikes into the van (let alone the fact that Leandra's required a new inner tube which I hadn't replaced yet) so we decided to skip the family bike/picnic day in Syracuse hosted by the awesome Kevin, Kathy, Zach (professional biker), and Eliza. Instead, I took the kids to the dollar show to see Paul Blart: Mall Cop, and then to Subway to split a $5 Sub. Afterwards, we back home for me to do much needed yard work and for the kids to play with some friends.

Later in the day, Kendra ended up down the street riding bikes with a friend - Bailee. Around 6pm I received a call from Andrea (Bailee's Mom) telling me that Kendra had had an accident on her bike and had cut her chin and was bleeding - she was walking her home and Bailee was walking her bike home. I dropped what I was doing (of course) and started down the street to meet them. Kendra was holding a dishtowel on her chin and was obviously upset and crying. I tilted the towel down to examine her cut and then immediately put it back - exchanging that "look" with Andrea.

Needless to say, I took her right to Jordan Valley Hospital's emergency room and Lee took care of the kids at home, bringing them to the emergency room a little bit later. Leandra was quite upset, and really worried about her sister; but Lee did a great job in helping her calm down and understand what was happening.

I was with Kendra at the emergency room until 11pm - Lee took the rest of the kids around 9pm to Wendy's (because they still hadn't had any dinner and were starving), and then home to bed since they still had school in the morning. The doctor did a wonderful job stitching her back up and they also did a CT Scan to make sure her head was OK... or at least as OK as Kendra's has ever been!! :)

Kendra was awesome through the whole ordeal, but was very worried about getting stitches. She just kept saying she wanted to go home and go to sleep. I have to say that I did pretty good as well, until they were giving her the numbing shots. I really felt the blood drain from my head as I watched... Ugh!

I thought it was kinda funny, while we were in the back room waiting for the doctor, Kendra asked me why she had to be the one who always got hurt in our family. She said to me, "I'm just like Aunt Alli!" (Love you Alli!)

This is Kendra before the stitches...

She actually did get a little sleep while we were waiting for the area to get completely numb...

After 2 stitches were finished, the doctor had to go and help another patient for a minute (she was the only doctor there). Here's Kendra with the 2 stitches...

All 5 stitches finished...

This morning Kendra woke up feeling really good. I did give her some Ibuprophen because her jaw was quite stiff, but her headache is gone, her nausea is gone, and her chin isn't hurting her much. We feel extremely blessed that Heavenly Father was watching over her so her injuries were limited, and very fixable.

Thanks for listening to my lengthy story... We love you all!

5 comments:

kat said...

Now we'll have matching scars!! And we can compare stitches! :) My story isn't as cool as yours I'm sure...but I am so glad you were not hurt more. You are so brave!! and if it makes you feel better, we always say that Eliza is just like Kendra! :) We sure love you!

We are mom and dad! said...

What an interesting family tradition we have going here. Its a good thing it seems to have a selective membership. I'm so sorry Kendra about your injury. I know how hard it is on you and all your family. Love you lots

bedonts said...

So sorry you were hurt! You sound like you were very brave...don't worry, it gets easier!!! ;)

Love you! Hope you get healed up quickly! See you soon!

Andrea said...

I just have to say - those pictures don't do it justice! It was much worse in person! I'm so glad she's doing better today though.

Brynn said...

(I know this is my first time commenting on this blog but when I saw this I had to comment on my accidents twin.)


Kendra,

I'm so so sorry that had to happen to you too. I had that happen to me when I was your age also. Only I had 7 stitches (I think) and my mom was pregnant at the time. So having my pregnant mother drive ME to the hospital instead of the other way around, made it interesting. =) Now we can share our experiences and both remember... UGH!!!!!

Love you guys. And stay cool!!! 8~)