Monday, March 2, 2009

More Musical Talent...

I really feel like now would be a good time to add this to our blog. Although Leandra performed this last Fall (before I got up the courage to attempt the blog-world!), I really want to share it with our friends and family because I don't think anybody has had a chance to hear her perform it.

While Kendra has really taken to the the piano, Leandra LOVES her violin! In fact, she also had a pretty great Christmas when she received a new full-size violin. She's been playing on her 3/4 sized for a couple years now, and has really grown into needing the larger size. She's been playing with the school orchestra for 2 years now (after the 1 year I taught her at home).

Anyway, she is in 5th grade this year, and decided that she wanted to enter the Reflections contest at school with an original musical composition for violin. I was impressed with her ambition, but FAR MORE impressed with what she was actually able to come up with! Obviously, she has also received some of her father's musical abilities!! Her orchestra teacher at school was also very impressed. So much so, that she asked her to play her piece - solo - in front of the entire school at their school Christmas concert! Again, Leandra impressed me to no end by actually agreeing to do it!! Wow! I would never have been so brave when I was 11! Also, in the Spring, several elementary school orchestra's combine their efforts into one HUGE program which they call a "Monster Concert". Leandra's teacher has asked her for a copy of her song (which will be provided only after her father has it copywritten... :)... ) so that she can share it with all the other teachers and have the song performed by the entire group at this years "Monster Concert"!

So, here is her original song which she has entitled, "Roaming in the Meadow". I'm sorry I had to upload it in 2 pieces, but my camera will only record about a minute of video at a time.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

kat said...

AMAZING!! I wish I had that much talent. I think there is a monopoly on talent in the Thornton home. Thanks for sharing this awesome song with us....I hope we get to hear more soon....and what about a family christmas concert?

bedonts said...

YEA! I'm SO glad you posted that! I wanted, so badly, to be able to go and see her perform it when I heard about it...but obviously couldn't make the trip! Leandra....you did an AWeSoME job! Very well done! What talent you have! :)

BJ said...

Very impressive!!!
Nice job Leandra.