I can't think of many things I dread more than elementary school valentine boxes! Of course, the kids always LOVE and look forward to creating them... but, MY idea of a valentine box, and THEIR idea of a valentine box are NEVER quite the same! :) I remember pulling out an old shoe box, covering it with paper, and then covering THAT paper with lots of little paper hearts.... cut a rectangle hole in the top, and Vuuala.... valentine box! Not so, with my creative children.

Jordan was not so difficult, but he's only in 1st grade! He's not even supposed to have to bring a box from home yet!! His teachers are supposed to have big hearts cut out of colored butcher paper with little holes punched around the bottom of it for him to string together with some yarn... in class! Although, I believe all the OTHER 1st grade teachers followed the general "rule" this year, Jordan's teachers did not. Soooo, we found a wooden box shaped like a book which we painted and stained. Then we put a big "J" on the top and he was done! Not too bad... and he was cool with it.
Kendra, decided it would be AWESOME to build a box out of craft sticks! I have to say that I'm very glad we've taught her how to use a hot glue

gun, because after we got it started together, I was able to leave her to it. She ended up doing a GREAT job... and it only took her a couple of hours!
Leandra..... ahh, Leandra. Apparently, HER class was having contests for their boxes and she was determined to win the "Funniest" category. Shall I just let the pictures do the talking??

Unfortunately, one of the BOYS in her class heard what she had planned and had his mom go out and purchase a blow-up toilet?? Anyway, there are 15 boys in Leandra's class and 12 girls... and the contest categories were decided by class vote. Any guesses as to how the "funniest" category ended up? Oh, well!! She had a lot of fun anyway!
1 comment:
So cute! I can't believe how major they all are now! I remember doing a treasure box and covering it with sand and old jewelry. That was pretty fun. But building one with popsicle sticks??? Wow...that's dedication! Very creative on Leandra's part! I totally would've voted for her! And Jordan's book looked awesome! Very cool!
Post a Comment